Scroll down to submit a new position.
Director, Bio Support Unit, University of Nottingham
Research that Transforms Lives and Shapes the Future
Who We Are
Our pioneering spirit and ambitious vision still resonates and drives our University today, as we strive to deliver an exceptional research-led education to our 46,000 students, and to transform lives and societies around the globe through our world-leading research.
Our educational ethos is built on the premise that education transform lives and unlocks potential and possibility. This drives our commitment to excellence in teaching and learning, as we encourage our students to be courageous, to achieve, and to shape the world around them.
The Director of BSU is a key role providing both strategic and operational leadership supporting animal research across the University. Working closely with the Establishment Licence Holder and the Director of Governance and Assurance, you will lead on the development and implementation of the BSU’s future direction, policies and culture.
With executive responsibility for laboratory animal facilities based over three sites, this role is both challenging and rewarding. The wide-ranging research portfolio of the University of Nottingham, closely associated with locally based and expanding commercial research organisations, means that the role holder has the opportunity to contribute to projects that have potential benefits for both animal and human health while increasing the 3R’s profile within the organisation.
The facilities include both traditional and barrier facilities housing a range of species (including aquatics and farm animals). The core elements of this role will include:
- Responsible for legislative governance relating to the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 and other legislation applicable to the operation of this business unit, including compliance with Health and Safety legislation.
- Leading, directing and managing a team dedicated to animal welfare, while developing strategic plans and policies that will contribute to both the application of the 3Rs and drive efficient operation and collaboration.
- Budgetary responsibility and business development of the established commercial collaborations will form a significant financial aspect of the role.
- Effective liaison with academic licensees and the Named Persons is essential to provide the required high-level expertise, advice and guidance that safeguards animal welfare.
- Contributing to the AWERB and licence application process.
Proven leadership experience within the field of laboratory animal science is essential. With a collaborative approach, you will need well developed interpersonal and communication skills, and have the experience to influence and engage at the most senior levels both within the organisation and with external partners and clients.
As an experienced professional laboratory animal facility manager or having relevant experience in laboratory animal science, you must be able to demonstrate an ability to manage a multi species animal facility and effectively organise a technical team. Additionally, your organisational skills will complement a sound financial and business understanding, with practical application in a ‘cost recovery’ business unit.
For all successful international applicants, including EU/EEA applicants from January 2021, we offer an interest-free loan to help cover the cost of immigration-related expenses to the UK, including visas and the NHS surcharge.
Extensive in-depth knowledge, experience and understanding of the operation of ASPA with experience in a governance role is of paramount importance. To be successful you will either be a Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons or hold a relevant science degree and professional qualifications e.g. Fellowship of the Institute of Animal Technology. A management qualification is highly desirable.
At the University of Nottingham, you will become part of a pioneering University that provides an exceptional education and delivers transformational research. We are committed to providing competitive employment packages, benefits and rewards, while supporting the wellbeing of our staff to help them reach their full potential.
This is a full-time permanent position.
Covance Laboratories GmbH
Posted 6 October 2020
Are you looking for a new challenge?
Have you studied veterinary medicine and received your approbation and now you want to try a different direction in your career? Are you an expert veterinarian and want to support the research and development of medications?
Then this position as Attending Veterinarian at an international biotech company is the right one for you!
We at Covance have been doing preclinical studies for 35 years at our site in Münster. For these studies we are looking for engaged employees who want to bring in their own thoughts.
If you are interested to help Covance in the future to keep working on the 50 most sold medications on the market, then apply today!
Patients Can’t Wait. Neither Can We™
- An interesting and varied job in an international research company
- A performance-related remuneration and various social benefits
- Opportunity for individual training
- Performing veterinary tasks to keep the animals healthy and performing veterinary examinations in the context of preclinical studies
- Assumption of management tasks in the department and in project teams
- Contact with customers, both in the planning phase and during the studies
- Implement new methods, including surgery
- Communicate and work closely with study leaders and advise the study leaders during the studies
- Contribute to the content of animal experiment permit applications and provide scientific support in answering queries from the approval authority
- Completed studies in veterinary medicine with a license to practice (approbation)
- Several years of professional experience in veterinary practice or in research institutions
- Approval as a specialist veterinarian or equivalent international qualification desired
- Very good communication skills, both verbal and business fluent, as well as in writing are essential
- Experience in conducting regulatory studies is an advantage
- Experience in preclinical research is an advantage
- Fluent German and good written and spoken English skills are required
How to Post a Job on ECLAM.EU
ECLAM will post information on positions available for laboratory animal veterinarians on our site. Please complete the form below to submit the information. Postings should be brief and contain the email and/or website information for potential candidates to use.